Read the following passage carefully and answer the questions given below :
Rural development is one of the thrust areas of
administration. As Mahatma Gandhi rightly said, “India
lives in villages and the development of the nation cannot
be achieved without the development of the villages”. The
need of the hour is the convergence of all development
interventions, at the grassroot level which can be possible
through effective governance at the village level. The
movement towards decentralization of the National and
State governments through the Panchayati Raj system
needs to be strengthened through lessons learned from the
successful stories of ‘Model villages’ around India.
Though India is progressing in the right direction in
reducing education inequalities and increasing literacy
levels, there is still a lot that needs to be done. An
understanding of social issues is important for effective
planning and policy development. Self-governance
ensures that Indian citizens, even the previously
marginalized, can participate in decision-making.
1) Explain in short Mahatma Gandhi’s views on rural
2) Highlight the role of the government in achieving
3) What measures have been suggested to achieve
4) Express your idea of a ‘Model Village’.
(1) According to Mahatma Gandhi, India lives in villages. He is of the opinion that rural development Is extremely essential as the development of a nation cannot be achieved Without rural development.
(2) To achieve rural development, the government must follow a policy of decentralization of power and the Panchayati Raj system needs to be strengthened.
(3) Decentralization of National and State Governments through the Panchayati Raj, strengthening self-governance are the measures that have been suggested to achieve rural development.
(4) According to me, a ‘Model Village’ is a village where all people are well educated, all are employed, all are living a quality life.